Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Marathon Training - Week 1 Recap

Well, I'm not quite to that point yet...

Week 1 of my formal training for the Prairie Fire Marathon is in the books.  It feels good to have a finite goal in mind after being rather aimless the last several months.

I plan on modifying a training plan I used in the past from the Hanson Brothers, a pair responsible for the Hanson-Brooks Distance Project.  Their plan is solid as-is (it helped me knock 21 minutes off my PR) but I plan on substituting some indoor cycling for a couple of the short run days.

This should help me get some low-impact active recovery while still reaping endurance benefits.  Previous plans, including the Hanson plan, sometimes leave me feeling a bit too worn-down.  Taking two cycling sessions a week will knock my running down to four days, leaving one day each week for nothing but rest or, at most, stretching and mobility work.

As for training itself, nothing too noteworthy this week:

Total Mileage:  29 miles

Average Pace (Endurance Sessions):  7:56/mile

Average Pace (Speed Session): ~6:07/mile (didn't record exact intervals)

I'll enjoy this training while I can...challenging race-pace runs and longer endurance sessions are just around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment