Friday, July 19, 2013

Marathon Training - Week 5 Recap

I'll keep this recap short and sweet since it's so late...

I ended up taking an unintentional de-load week last week where I cut down the amount of runs more than usual.  Hindsight being 20/20 I'm glad this happened, as I have been meaning to experiment with occasional de-loads during a marathon training program.

A de-load week is essentially a scaled-down taper.  Tapering is very common for endurance events such as marathons and middle- to long-distance triathlons, occurring at the very end of one's training.

However, de-loading in the middle of a training program is more commonplace in the world of bodybuilding and weight lifting.  I have been meaning to apply it to a marathon plan so we'll see if this accidental de-load week helps or hinders me in the long term.

Enough rambling, though...on with the details of Week 5:

Total Mileage:  21 1/2 miles

Workouts:
  • Bicycle trainer workout
  • Interval run
    • 3 x 1 mile (6:17/mile average pace)
    • 1 x 1/2 mile (5:56/mile average pace)
  • Six-mile race pace run
    • 6:48/mile average pace
  • Twelve-mile endurance run
    • 7:49/mile average pace

No comments:

Post a Comment